Sunday, July 17, 2011

Burkitt Lymphoma and Embarrassing Stampedes

We attended Grand Rounds on Burkitt Lymphoma (BL) at the hospital yesterday. There were two speakers - a man from the US National Cancer Institute and one from Kisumu - a Kenyan city south of us.

We have seen a lot of Burkitt Lymphoma here. In the US, we would think of BL as a real zebra (i.e. very rare). Here, they also see it as a zebra - except here, zebras are very common. It is most commonly found in children between the ages of 2-6. Of all the cases of BL in the world, 70 percent are found in sub-Saharan Africa. The maps of its prevalence show a very close match with the incidence of malaria. They are studying this disease and think that it has a relationship with malaria and the Epstein-Barr virus. There is great potential for this research.

All the speakers were, again, very appreciative of Alan's work on the oncology program at Moi. Of course, we are all well aware of the hard work done by so many others that has brought this program to where it is. I've heard these names of people I haven't met for years now. They loom large for us and the Kenyan partners, I'm sure. The man from the NCI told me that one hour of time from people like Alan is like a year's time to the people of Kenya.

I was walking over to the hospital and I saw one of the usual groups of cattle being walked down the side of the road (no sidewalks here) in my direction. I thought - what a good chance to take a picture! So, as I walked, I took out my camera and snapped a shot. As I took my camera down from my eye, I looked back up and saw this herd running right at me. As I leaped (in my long skirt) across a ditch to get to the road and away from being trampled, I'm sure the herder must have had a good laugh at the crazy mzungu (white person).

Looking pretty casual here - before they started running

No comments:

Post a Comment